Session integration in Speech Dispatcher

From: Bill Cox
Subject: Session integration in Speech Dispatcher
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:35:56 -0400

I'd like to point out what I feel is a major benefit of Luke's session
management.  In Vinux, we run speakup for the consoles, with
speechd-up to talk to a system-wide speech-dispatcher daemon.  Users
logged into Gnome have their own copy of speech-dispatcher running.
Now, when a user crashes speech-dispatcher in gnome (which still
happens fairly often), he can still use speakup on the consoles,
because the system-wide speech-dispatcher is still running.  Without
this feature, I think we would be forced to use espeakup instead for
the consoles.

I understand PulseAudio prefers to generate all sound on a per-user
session, but we have several sources for speech coming from root
processes: speechd-up, espeakup, SBL, and possibly Juniper.
PulseAudio needs to address this issue, but until then, Luke is forced
to run speech-dispatcher as a user process, while in Vinux we are
forced to run PulseAudio in system-wide mode to enable speakup on the
consoles.

Bill