Speech-dispatcher crashes with brltty

From: Daniel Dalton
Subject: Speech-dispatcher crashes with brltty
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:15:36 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Hermann wrote:

> am Fr 11. Apr 2008 um 10:43:20 schrieb Daniel Dalton <d.dalton at
> iinet.net.au>:
> [...]
>>> I'm rather sure this is no brltty/SD problem. Which version of libasound2
>>> do you use? If it's 1.0.16-x, shift back to version 1.0.15-x.
>>
>> How can I revert back to that version?
>
> Look into your /var/cache/apt/archives directory whether you can find an
> older libasound2 file.

Yep found it, and it seems to work fine, but I went back to .16 since .15
didn't work with my speakers. Only pc speaker which is a big problem...
I'll try .15 again later if I get sick of crashes... :-)
Perhaps I can get it to work...

>> Also I update my system rather regularly, how do i stop libasound from
>> updating too?
>
> You have to do that manually, by saving the old packages and downgrade
> after system updates by using dpkg.

Yes, but I could use hold... Oh well I won't, since that breaks a lot of
dependencies like mplayer and speech-dispatcher... (says apt, but the
older version works fine...)

> I hope there will be fixed packages soon.

I hope there are too... Would make things a lot easier... :-)

> It uses alsa by default. Check the file. It's selb explaining.

Yep it is, and I think it is using alsa... I'll look later when I have
time.

Thanks,

--
Daniel Dalton