solang-devel

Re: [Solang-devel] About Tracker Integration

From: Debarshi Ray
Subject: Re: [Solang-devel] About Tracker Integration
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:07:49 +0200

> Could you please provide a switch in configure script to allow disabling or
> enabling tracker integration ?

We completely got rid of the old SQLite code. I had initially tinkered
with the idea of supporting both SQLite and Tracker, but it would have
been a significant effort and I would rather have Solang integrated
well with the desktop (through Tracker), than carry along something
for the purpose of backwards compatibility or "choice". Right now if
you compare Solang with any of the other photo managers which already
exist -- F-Spot, GThumb, J-Brout, Shotwell -- you will find that it is
the integration with Tracker which makes Solang special.

> As you know, tracker-0.7 haven't made it yet to any distro  ( there are some
> exceptions, like gentoo ),

It is a transient phase. The 0.8 releases will start happening sooner
rather than later, and the distributions will then start carrying it.

> disabling it will allow distributions to stay
> up-to-date with current development.

A big part of "current development" is Tracker. :-)

Happy hacking,
Debarshi
--
One reason that life is complex is that it has a real part and an
imaginary part.