solang-devel

[Solang-devel] Damned Lies or Transifex.net

From: Debarshi Ray
Subject: [Solang-devel] Damned Lies or Transifex.net
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:48:27 +0200

First of all I would like to thank Adrien Beudin, Florent Thévenet,
Piotr Drąg, Yasen Pramatarov for updating the Bulgarian, French and
Polish translations in time for the 0.4 release. Thank you!

You might have noticed that we are migrating from Savannah to GNOME
infrastructure and this opens up a question regarding how to accept
translations.

Till now we have been using transifex.net because Transifex is cool
and Savannah did not have an equivalent offering. Now the problem is
that transifex.net can not submit translations to git.gnome.org. This
is unlikely to change until the GNOME localization teams decide to use
it and ask for a git.gnome.org account which transifex.net can then
use to submit changes.

Currently we are using our Savannah tree for accepting submissions
from transifex.net. I periodically 'git pull --rebase' from Savannah
to my local clone and push everything back to git.gnome.org and
Savannah. For various reasons this is sub-optimal. I do not want to
continue having two public trees -- one where translators submit and
another where GNOME developers submit.

Also, in the past, some of you like Andrea Zagli have suggested moving
over to Damned Lies [1]. This was repeated by members of GNOME's
Finnish translation team last Sunday.

So we need to do something about this. Obviously you are more familar
with localization efforts so what do you think would be a good thing
to do?

Happy hacking,
Debarshi

[1] http://l10n.gnome.org/
--
One reason that life is complex is that it has a real part and an
imaginary part.