social

Re: [Social] licensing questions

From: Ismael Luceno
Subject: Re: [Social] licensing questions
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 03:47:27 -0200

Sun, 09 Jan 2011 17:04:41 -0500
Sean OBrien <address@hidden> escribió:
<...>
> 1. If I modified the GNU social code, which is AGPLv3 licensed, to
> spit out these XML files and share them with OneSwarm, would any user
> that modifies the AGPL-licensed code on their own installation then
> be required to release their modified code?

Yes.

Given decentralized the nature of the application, it may not be
practical to license under AGPL, since it's intended to protect users
from the infrastructure owners.

In this case, plain GPL seems more appropriate.

> 2. Will there be a licensing conflict if I combine AGPLv3 code with
> code from OneSwarm?  Pieces are licensed under the GPLv2, Apache
> License v2, Common Public License v1, and Creative Commons NC-SA v3.
> I know there are conflicts with non-commercial stipulations, but the
> CC-NC-SA licensed code is not essential.  My real concern is the
> GPLv2.

Beware, GPLv3 and AGPLv3 are compatible through explicit mutual
compatibility clauses. GPLv2 is incompatible, so unless the code is
licensed as GPLv2+, it would be a violation.

Interactions with Apache License should pose no problem, but CPL
does. Neither CPL nor EPL are compatible with the GPL, so you must
replace that code or get it licensed under a compatible license.