social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] Interoperability?

From: Rob Myers
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Interoperability?
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 12:24:44 +0100

On 05/28/2010 12:09 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

- I am assuming any GNU stuff is a safe match, though we did have some
discussion on GPL2 vs AGPL

GPL2 *or later* can be used under GPL 3. Which can be used under AGPL.

GPL2 *only* is incompatible.

- What about Apache 2.0 (OpenSocial)

GPL 3 compatible, so AGPL compatible.

- What about the OWF Specs:  OAuth, OpenID, OStatus, Activity Streams,
Salmon, Pubsubhubub -- I know that the FSF is not generally a big fan of
the patents system.  To what extent can a GNU project play nicely with
the listed technologes?

Good question -

http://oauth.net/license/core/1.0/

No patents are listed, and this is for the spec rather than for a code licence.

Matt can one of the hundred or so lawyers employed by the FSF take a look at this in some of their copious spare time?

PS as a side the lorea.cc folks are doing some great work creating a
federated version of elgg (using many of the technologies above), and I
am helping them to test.  There should be a working demo later in the
year ... if it's considered useful, I think we'd be open to donating
code the code to the GNU Social Project

Cool!

- Rob.