social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] Would a 'DynHttpd' service be useful?

From: Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Would a 'DynHttpd' service be useful?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 20:01:34 +0200

2010/5/26 Hellekin O. Wolf <address@hidden>

> cloud-based dynamic HTTP-front-end service?
>
> Would it be useful for the various open-social projects if there were a
*** Sounds spooky :)

Hehe, why?  Aside from the fact that it makes it that much easier for malware to serve pr0n off pwned machines? :-P

*** nginx, apache with mod_ssl or mod_gnutls, cherokee and lighttpd
all support Single Name Indication nowadays.  So the mapping is not
1:1 anymore.  But some clients will get the 'first' certificate,
whatever it is: there are some glitches, but it generally works.

Great, thanks a million for this. In this case, I'm happy to be a dinosaur with an outdated understanding of the web.  So DynHttpd could tunnel TLS all the way back to your box, after 'sniffing' which domain is requested so it can decide which tunnel to use.

> Thoughts?  Oh, also - does this already exist?  :-)

*** You should have a look at PSYC, especially the surf command that
serves documents via HTTP (using your local browser), from your PSYC
client (or IRC, or XMPP).

Unless I misunderstand, I am trying to go the other direction - serve stuff to everyone else, not open content from another network in my local browser.

Thanks!

--
Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson
address@hidden

Use http://bre.klaki.net/bre/contact.shtml to bypass my spam filters.
.oOo.oOo.   PGP: 02764305, B7A3AB89   .oOo.oOo.