social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] Diaspora?

From: Carlo von Loesch
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Diaspora?
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 14:39:29 +0200 (CEST)

Laurent Eschenauer typeth:
| You should have a look at http://onesocialweb.org (fully XMPP based).

You should have a look at just about everything on
http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Group:GNU_Social/Project_Comparison
There's some good in each of those.

| Our approach supports both a hub&spoke model (intelligence and data at
| the server) and a P2P one (the end resource is where the stuff is),

But XMPP does not hide who is talking to whom. That is something
GAP and other F2F technologies do better.

| We also recognize the need for a lightweight HTTP based API and as
| soon as someone proposes a good HTTP based flow (and we are looking
| forward to the future Buzz API), we'll implement. So feel free to get
| in touch if you have ideas/feedback.

That's interesting how a file transfer protocol (HTTP) is seen as being
lightweight - even more lightweight than a protocol that was supposed
to be a messaging protocol (XMPP), a lightweighter job than obtaining files.
Both protocols have become over the top for what they were supposed to do
and neither of them is indeed lightweight.

Lightweight is when you can drop some data into a text template
and throw it into a UDP packet or an existing TCP stream.
Not much preprocessing. No unnecessary packet round-trips.
Lightweight isn't when you have a simple API. It's when the
protocols underneath actually do efficient things.

And when it comes to true privacy, GAP is a most interestingly
architected protocol: http://gnunet.org/download/aff.pdf
It's not lightweight either, but it provides actual privacy, not
just encryption.

--
___ psyc://psyced.org/~lynX ___ irc://psyced.org/welcome ___
___ xmpp:address@hidden ____ https://psyced.org/PSYC/ _____