social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] PHP-Based GNU Social structure

From: Henry Litwhiler
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] PHP-Based GNU Social structure
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:41:09 -0400

On 3/28/10 3:35 PM, James Walker wrote:
Hey folks, been idly watch, but just have to jump in here before this
gets much more out of hand...

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Henry Litwhiler<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 3/28/10 3:21 PM, Matt Lee wrote:
On 03/28/2010 02:57 PM, Henry Litwhiler wrote:

Assuming that we go with a pure-PHP GNU Social, what would the
application look like, structure-wise? How would the nodes communicate?

So, I thought about the two typical ways people communicate in something
like Facebook.

1. They send messages to each other -- via wall posts, inbox messages,
chat.

2. They publish things -- status updates, photos, notes, join groups.

For the messaging, something like XMPP could be used.

Developing (or incorporating) good, solid, decentralized messaging protocol
will have to be a major focus of the GNU Social project.
Blaine mentioned our work earlier, but I would strongly encourage you
to check out OStatus - http://ostatus.org/ . It already incorporates
both messaging as well as following/subscriptions. It's currently used
by StatusNet (http://status.net/) - but is built on the same open
protocol stack used by Google Buzz, Cliqset.com and others.

This can all be done completely statelessly in exactly the environment
that Matt has outlined (StatusNet uses the same LAMP stack).

I would strongly encourage you all to focus on adopting existing
(preferably, rather than creating) open standards. True decentralized
networking should be platform and language independent.

While I would be strongly opposed to the notion of GNU Social turning into the pasting together of a bunch of nearly unrelated standards, I also would be strongly opposed to reinventing the wheel, which is what we would be doing if we tried to develop our own social networking format.

I agree - we would probably be better off adopting something like OStatus, rather than developing our own format.
For the publishing, something like RSS or Atom could be used.

I hadn't thought of that. This, of course, goes back to the "pull" rather
than "push" methodology.
Completely untrue - RSS&  Atom are document formats ... they can be
pushed realtime (see above). See also PubSubHubbub -
http://code.google.com/p/pubsubhubbub/ .

My mistake. I simply meant that users would have to get the RSS/Atom feed from another server, rather than having it sent to them.
What would the user experience be like?

I think the UX would be similar to Facebook, but different in the ways
we encourage communication.