social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] Languages -- let's make a web application

From: Henry Litwhiler
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Languages -- let's make a web application
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:14:25 -0400

On 3/28/10 2:06 PM, Matt Lee wrote:
On 03/28/2010 02:03 PM, Henry Litwhiler wrote:

I don't see why users have to be able to use commodity hosting. If we
make it easy enough, anyone can host their own GNU Social install, p2p
style.
Because I don't believe the majority of people will.

What will they host it on? The majority of Facebook users don't have a
machine they can install their own servers on. Being able to use this
from anywhere is key for success, and that means browser based.

It can be hosted on their main machine.

All I'm saying is that most people can figure out how to run any other piece of p2p software (torrent client, etc.) - GNU Social won't be much harder.

Plus I'm not saying that everyone runs some PHP application on their home web server that all their friends connect to through their web browsers whenever they want to talk with the person.

PHP should be viewed as a convenient way of displaying the data being aggregated by the Python/C backbone - users will only have to point their browsers to localhost to interact with the GNU Social backbone, which handles all the node-to-node communication.

--
Henry L.