social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] Some Thoughts

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Some Thoughts
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 20:37:49 -0700 (PDT)

Henry Litwhiler <address@hidden> wrote ..

> Absolutely - there isn't anything inherently wrong with the idea of
> cloud computing

On the contrary: "Cloud Computing" is a nebulous term for Software as a
Service.
RMS recently gave a talk on that [1]. I was able to record it as as well [2].

> all it means is that you can access all your files, documents, media, etc.
> from any computer connected to the internet.

Storing files on someone else's server so that you (or others) can access them
from wherever you (or they) wish isn't SaaS, so long as that server is only
acting as a repository for the files you referred to, although it does raise
other issues.

> The idea is a good one - it's just that the highly proprietary implementation
of it has been wrong.

The software running in "the cloud" should certainly be free, otherwise the
cloud operator has lost their freedom, but whether it is actually free or not
has no bearing on the SaaS issue.

"...if the programs on the server are free, that doesn't protect you as the
server's user from the effects of SaaS. They give freedom to the operator, but
not to you ... Software as a service always subjects you to the power of the
server operator, and the only remedy is to avoid it ... Use a real computer and
keep your data there. Do your work with your own copy of a free program, for
your freedom's sake." --Richard Stallman.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html
[2] http://aws.bluehome.net/saas.html