social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] What should GNU social be?

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] What should GNU social be?
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 13:35:02 +0100

On 4 March 2010 00:55, Matt Lee <address@hidden> wrote:
Should GNU social be a straight up replacement for existing social
networks? I don't think so.

Should GNU social include the creation of a protocol for decentralized,
encrypted communication between social networks? I think it should.

Not wishing to disappoint, but I think the idea of making a straight up
clone of Facebook that is AGPL isn't what we should be thinking about
here. We may decide to create a simple, Facebook-type UI as a demo for
one of the possible applications of GNU social, but let's also consider
the future and other ideas for social software.

With that in mind, what are your ideas for GNU social?

I'd like to see GNU social as something that offers user choice, and that people are willing to put their trust in.

Around 25% of people dont join a social network because of privacy concerns.

I think GNU Social is ideally placed to build something that is both feature rich, and at the same time respects people's privacy.

Add your ideas at LibrePlanet: http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Group:GNU_Social