slib-discuss

Re: [Slib-discuss] Test suite for SLIB?

From: Aubrey Jaffer
Subject: Re: [Slib-discuss] Test suite for SLIB?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 21:19:03 -0500 (EST)

 | From: Kris De Volder <address@hidden>
 | Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:37:32 -0800
 |
 | I am working on a Scheme implementation for the JVM in some of my
 | spare time.  So far I've had quite a bit of fun doing that.  If all
 | goes well (keep fingers crossed :-), I would like to eventually
 | make this available under some liberal open source licence.
 |
 | I thought that including SLIB support would be a great idea, as
 | this would provide a whole bunch of useful functionality "for
 | free".
 |
 | But I'm reluctant to release what I've cobbled together unless
 | there is a way to run a reasonably thorough test that the library
 | support is properly implemented and the packages provided by SLIB
 | work as intended under my implementation.
 |
 | I downloaded SLIB and poked around the web (including a google
 | search of things like "SLIB test suite", but so far I came up
 | empty).  So finally, I decided to try a message on this mailing
 | list.
 |
 | Anyway, my question is: Is there a way to thoroughly test an SLIB
 | installation/port?  If so, I'd appreciate some pointers to relevant
 | places / resources for this purpose.

SLIB libraries are built on R4RS functionality plus the "Universal
SLIB Procedures" <http://people.csail.mit.edu/jaffer/slib_2.html>
provided by the implementation's *.init file.

The test for the R4RS stuff is at:
<http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/scm/scm/r4rstest.scm?rev=HEAD>
Save this file to "r4rstest.scm" and load it into your implementation.

The code in SLIB modules doesn't condition by implementation.  So the
operation of each SLIB module doesn't need to be tested against each
implementation.  It is useful to test module functionality which is
natively provided by an implementation.  SLIB does have a few test
files in the distribution:

  "dwindtst.scm" dynamic-wind
  "wttest.scm" Test Weight balanced trees
  "formatst.scm" SLIB FORMAT Version 3.0 conformance test
  "macrotst.scm" Test for R4RS Macros

I have about 50 test files which aren't in the distribution.  Because
Scheme does not specify order-of-execution, the vagaries of
floating-point arithmetic, and other considerations, making these
portable would involve a lot of work.  Let me know what modules your
implementation supplies and I will send you the test files if I have
them.

A more thorough test is to run software which uses a lot of SLIB
modules.  I recommend running JACAL
<http://people.csail.mit.edu/jaffer/JACAL> over its regression test,
"test.math".