slacktools-dev

Re: [Slacktools-dev] The use of mailing

From: Paulo Abrantes
Subject: Re: [Slacktools-dev] The use of mailing
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 21:55:18 +0100

On Fri,  4 Jul 2003 21:28:35 +0100
address@hidden wrote:

> Yes, you're right. I hope you can understand my english :)
  It's probably better than mine.

> For the moment, I can just show some topics we have discussed
> in our informal meetings:
>
>  * Package management - including dependencies, specific user install, apt
> style
>    - For this one there was the idea of trying to adapt slackware to use the
> debian packages
>      servers (maybe it's a bad idea, but it's an idea anyway :))

 So mainly what you want do is an apt-get fork? The problem I see here in that
is the
how can you know if the user is a debian or slackware user, in the server. The
only
way I'm seeing here is doing some tweaking in the apt "procotol". So the server
code
would also have to be changed. Which I think apt folks wouldn't really like.
If you are seeing another way to solve this problem, or if I'm not quite
following the
apt protocol, please enlight me :)

>  * Easy way to create, install, uninstall, and keep track of packages

   Well that's the easy part. Mainly the core of this tools will be the
sync'ing with servers, retrieving the packages and their deps, that's
the part we have to think and discuss, the localhost part is (probably)
just a bunch of perl scripts;)

P. Abrantes AKA Ghost_Rider

        Computer Science Student @
        Instituto Superior Tecnico
          (http://www.ist.utl.pt)

This email fortune cookie:

Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent. -- Walt Kelly