sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] exchange of ideas

From: brent s.
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] exchange of ideas
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 21:16:10 -0400

On 3/22/19 4:50 PM, fuat wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Is it a security threat to keep public keys in the sks database in the
> directory as an .asc file?
>
> Can it be done? Why can not be done?
>
> What are the advantages and disadvantages?
>
> I'd appreciate it if you sent me your ideas.

A *security* threat? As long as it's the public key, no.

But you don't really gain anything but problems from it, because:

- the ASCII-armored version of a key takes up more bytes in storage than
the binary format (this is true of any binary => BASE64 conversion,
especially with the headers that ASCII-armored format includes)

- the ASCII-armored version would need to be converted to binary anyways
to properly be parsed by the underlying library (someone fact-check me
on this, I'm about 80% certain on this)

- the underlying library can convert to ASCII-armored anyways for
rendering to clients that request it

--
brent saner
https://square-r00t.net/