sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Withdrawal of Service - keys.flanga.io

From: Keith Erekson
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Withdrawal of Service - keys.flanga.io
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 11:19:13 -0500

Standard "I am not a lawyer" disclaimer applies, but it is my impression (both from speaking to people who know more than I do about this, and from reading article 17 of the GDPR) that the "right to be forgotten" isn't necessarily absolute.

Meaning that if one were to receive such a request, and it is not possible to remove the data, this doesn't automatically mean that the only recourse is to shut down the service. Specifically, this language is the part that catches my attention: "the controller, taking account of available technology and the cost of implementation, shall take reasonable steps, including technical measures, to inform controllers..."

Perhaps someone who has access to a lawyer could ask for clarification on this? Speculation about what implications GDPR may or may not have for the SKS network isn't especially productive, in my opinion. (I say this as someone who might be shielded from liability by an employer's legal counsel, however.)

Regarding the resource usage and/or instability of the SKS keyserver itself, there are some of us who don't need to care about this, thankfully ;-)

I maintain a keyserver in a VM at work, where its CPU/disk/bandwidth usage are a proverbial drop in the bucket. As long as it keeps running with minimal oversight on my part, I'm happy to provide this service. The same applies to the mirrors that we operate.

Obviously this is a luxury and is not the case for many (most?) admins, and I would never blame anyone for ceasing to volunteer their resources/time for a project like this, but it is not necessarily a problem for all of us that these issues have become (more) apparent in the last year or so.

Just my two cents.

~Keith