sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Clustering (Was: New Keyservers and Dumps)

From: Alain Wolf
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Clustering (Was: New Keyservers and Dumps)
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 18:44:42 +0200

Hi

Am 24.08.2018 um 14:36 wrote Kristian Fiskerstrand:
> On 08/24/2018 11:36 AM, Gabor Kiss wrote:
>> A question:
>> Does an SKS cluster need multiple storage space,
>> or nodes can share the database?
>
> the DB/storage needs to be separate, but it doesn't require multiple VMs
> although I tend to just spin up a new one for each node.

So to clarify, I run a Ubuntu-server 18.04 and assuming I have 100+ GB
of free disk-space:

1) I make two additional copies of /var/lib/sks (22GB as of today).

2) I give them each a nodename in sksconf, but leave the hostname as
   it is.

3) I peer all of them with each other in their membership files.

4) I somehow convince systemd to run three instances of sks and
   sks-recon, each with its own working-dir.

5) I tell my Nginx to proxy all three of them.

6) I ask around for peers to my two new instances.

A) Is that it?

B) Would this be useful?

Note 1:
I only one single external IPv4-Address, but a delegated IPv6 prefix. So
IPv4 recon will be limited to one of the three instance.

Note 2:
My server is not in the HKPS pool, and probably will not be in the
foreseeable future.

P.S.

Also, if this is so important, I suggest a description in the SKS Wiki,
similar to what we have for Peering and DumpingKeys.

Also I find it a bit confusing that the sks website talks about
load-balancing and this thread talks about clustering.

Regards
Alain

--
pgpkeys.urown.net 11370 # <address@hidden> 0x27A69FC9A1744242