sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] New Keyservers and Dumps

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] New Keyservers and Dumps
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 14:55:45 +0200

On 08/23/2018 11:49 PM, Eric Germann wrote:
> Since I’ve been rolling these myself, I didn’t know a 3 node cluster was best.
>
> As for the 3, if either putting them behind a LB or doing round-robin, how
> would the LB or the client know there was a failure on one and move on in the
> cluster.  Most I’ve seen with multiple (??) boxes use two IP’s behind a CNAME
> doing RR DNS.

it hops to another server after timeout or due to 5xx message from
upstream, e.g (nginx):

upstream sks_servers
{
        server 192.168.0.55:11372 weight=5;
        server 192.168.0.61:11371 weight=10;
        server 192.168.0.36:11371 weight=10;
}

Adding a cache on the LB further improves responses, as discussed previously

> FWIW, no one has complained, so not too sure it’s an issue, at least for now.

I get all the complains, as they say the pool isn't working.

> I do notice I frequently end up with a significant number of them in the hkp
> pool.  They do run hkps on LetsEncrypt certs and seem to sync fine, at least
> to GPGSuite.

Most traffic goes to hkps pool these days anyways since that is default
in gnupg.

> Do you have a best-practices deployment doc, because it’s pretty much been
> trial by fire.  For example, killing the daemon gives you about a 50% chance
> of blowing up the db.  For the longest time I rebuilt, not knowing an “sks
> cleandb” would fix it 99% of the time.

Very few scenarios where you would kill the daemon though, but the
archive of the ML has many discussions, you also have
https://bitbucket.org/skskeyserver/sks-keyserver/wiki/Peering giving
good pointers.

> Docs seem a bit thin.  I was trying to up pool count since a lot seem to have
> gone by the wayside, adding some geo-diversity and running one in Africa.
> Not sure if there are any others down there.
>
> It’s an interesting experiment.  If it’s an issue let me know and I will shut
> some/it down.

Its not an issue, but in practice it doesn't necessarily add much value
either, more clustered setups are more important for the ecosystem than
even more individual servers.

--
----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand
Blog: https://blog.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
Public OpenPGP keyblock at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
"The laws of Australia prevail in Australia, I can assure you of that.
The laws of mathematics are very commendable, but the only laws that
applies in Australia is the law of Australia."
(Malcolm Turnbull, Prime Minister of Australia).