sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] SKS intermittently stalls with 100% CPU & rate-limiting

From: Pete Stephenson
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] SKS intermittently stalls with 100% CPU & rate-limiting
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 20:53:08 -0700

Thanks.

I then have three more questions:

1. If this issue is affecting my server to the point of it being booted
from the pool (since it's stalling near-continuously and can't respond
toe queries), why are other servers not being similar affected? There's
lots of servers still in the pool.

2. Is there some countermeasure one can use to protect their server? I
have LimitRequestBody set to 8000000 (8MB) to prevent blatant abuse, but
clearly something is still annoying the server.

3. Any suggestions on how to deal with the unreasonably high-speed
queries from corporate mail systems? Ideally, they'd run their own
server locally to handle their huge amount of queries, but I have no
real way of communicating that with them. I'd love to slow down their
queries (tarpitting, maybe?) to minimize excess resource consumption
while still answering their queries as opposed to just cutting them off
once they hit a rate limit.

Cheers!
-Pete