sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Peers

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Peers
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 22:13:18 +0000

On 2017-04-05 at 23:30 +0200, Peter Sunde Kolmisoppi wrote:
> Setting up a keyserver and looking for peers!
> The machine is located in sweden and will be used for research and internal
> pgp signing / checking, and not public facing.

If the :11371 port is open to the world, to support roaming users, then
you're going to end up in the public pools anyway.

Every keyserver exports its status on a special URL, including a list of
which services it peers with.  Anyone can then spider the mesh and build
lists of keyservers.  This is how sks-keyservers.net does it and that
pool is what keys.gnupg.net is aliased to.

So either you'll need to not allow :11371 outside your network, or
you'll need to arrange with pool operators to be manually excluded.  The
only pool operator I know of which is worth worrying about is
sks-keyservers.net.

-Phil