sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] 32-bit (short ID) collisions: New milestone(?) reached

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] 32-bit (short ID) collisions: New milestone(?) reached
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 00:48:03 +0200

On 06/04/2016 12:43 AM, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Hi all,

..

> And the main reason I am writing this mail: SKS listings all show this
> 32-bit ID only. It does differentiate when keys collide on their short
> keyids, but it promotes users using a weak representation; IMO we
> should change SKS to show either long keyids or the full fingerprint.

You can't trust the output from keyservers for this data to begin with,
so at this point it is moot, you need to download the key in question
and perform your own calculation of the fingerprint as part of a
bilateral exchange of information out of band to validate the key.

PS, although the short keyid is used in listing, the 64 bit long keyid
is used for cross-references, this is a convenience factor and not
related to any security (as keyservers doesn't provide any, users have to)
--
Kristian Fiskerstrand