sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Well connected?

From: Robert J. Hansen
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Well connected?
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 11:39:35 -0400

> One thing that does concern me about the current arrangements is how
> manual (and ad-hoc) the peering system is. I can foresee scalability
> problems...

Two thoughts:

1.  "Speed it, O Lord!  Let Thy Kingdom come!"  With 50,000 certificates
in the strong set and only a few million certificates overall, we're
talking about a DB that you can easily fit on a device that hangs off
your keychain.  OpenPGP is a fringe technology at best, and partially
due to that we're a long, long way from scalability issues.  If we were
to grow enough that scalability became an issue, I'd be applauding,
cheering, and thanking Divine Providence.

2.  Ad-hoc is actually a pretty awesome peering system, so long as
you've got a system that can exploit the small world effect -- and SKS
exploits it like it was a mail-order bride.  :)