sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks.disunitedstates.com down and out

From: John Marshall
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks.disunitedstates.com down and out
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 10:58:47 +1000

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015, 03:15 -0700, David Benfell wrote:
> I have just seen way too many problems with Berkeley DB in way too
> many situations. It seems to be fine for small applications: postfix
> uses it for really small files, for example. But anything big and it
> becomes unmanageable.
>
> Again and again and again. I'm convinced it's just a really bad idea.

If *the problem* was in fact BDB, it would be biting many more folks
really hard and David wouldn't be the only one giving up.  I have been
running SKS on FreeBSD servers for something like 7 years and I can't
remember having any BDB problems at all.  The databases are on local
UFS2 filesystems and I don't mess with keydumps.  Back when I started I
went through the pain of doing a full database import from a keydump,
and then trashed the keydump.  Perhaps the folks who have BDB problems
are the ones who mix keydump and BDB key storage?

For the record, my current mix is:
 FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p9
 BDB 5.3.28
 SKS 1.1.5

Thanks David for sticking at it and contributing your resources for so
long.

--
John Marshall