sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] where are the good init files for FreeBSD?

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] where are the good init files for FreeBSD?
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 00:15:01 +0000

On 2015-02-20 at 19:24 -0800, David Benfell wrote:
> In a recent discussion, Phil mentioned he had some more recent init
> files for sks for FreeBSD.

I included them in that mail; part of a thread, but I changed the
Subject to "FreeBSD init scripts".

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/sks-devel/2015-02/msg00060.html

Content is inline there; I PGP-signed the mail, so if you dig the
original mail out of your history, you should be able to verify.

> I don't know why the old ones have broken. But they're dead, Jim. I am
> able to run sks by su'ing into the sks user; cd'ing into the home
> directory and running 'sks db' and 'sks recon' by hand. The init
> scripts I have instantly fail with no log messages whatsoever. I'm
> clueless.

The new ones are unlikely to help.  I don't know which scripts you're
using, it's _possible_ that the `db_recover` invocation is not in those,
in which case the new script might help after all.

> Also, it sounded like what Phil is doing has an additional dependency.
> What is it?

The `runit` Port; it's a more modern implementation of some of the
system management functionality; the accessory tools therein are more
widely used and debugged.

Don't worry about supervise; that is a different approach, which the db
start script supports with `startfg` instead of `start`, so that the
init script doesn't actually daemonize.  If you don't want to learn
about supervise or the like, then it's just additional complexity which
you likely don't need.

But really, until you can get sks to run when manually started from the
command-line, no automatic method of running sks is really likely to
help.

Make sure that you have the `DB_CONFIG` file from before, or that you're
setting pagesizes correctly in `sksconf`.  Try setting `debuglevel` and
then `debug`, then look at the logs.

-Phil