sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks stopped gossipping with error in callback

From: Pete Stephenson
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks stopped gossipping with error in callback
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 20:46:43 +0200

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Brian Minton <address@hidden> wrote:
[snip]
> It's fixed now, and I've loaded a recent dump from
> rsync://keyserver.secretresearchfacility.com/dump (side note, having
> those be available via rsync is a huge timesaver) with 3736362 keys, so
> I should start gossiping again.

You know, I wonder if it'd make sense to have key dumps from one or
two sources (like the secretresearchfacility.com keyserver)
distributed by some peer-to-peer system, like BitTorrent Sync[1]
(free-as-in-beer, but not -as-in-speech). That way the keyserver could
make the dump and have it synced out to everyone who's interested.
Since the week-by-week changes are relatively small and most of the
dump files won't change, syncing would take place quickly.

[1] Regular BitTorrent might also work, but is designed for a static,
unchanging set of files: a new torrent file would need to be generated
and distributed with each update. BitTorrent Sync is designed
specifically to keep a frequently-updated set of files in sync between
different systems. The source of the dumps could distributed
"read-only" keys to everyone, who could then download the files from
the source (and each other) but only changes made by the source would
propagate; people with read-only keys can't push out changes to
others.

--
Pete Stephenson