sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Status flags are red

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Status flags are red
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 12:54:30 -0400

On 10/28/2013 08:22 PM, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
I use StartCom for my SSL CA provider and they allow SANs to be added
for SNI.

I don't think that startcom is an appropriate CA for the current hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net. In the current setup, anyone who has configured "keyserver hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net" also has "keyserver-options ca-cert-file /some/path/to/sks-keyservers.netCA.pem" (this CA certificate (operated by kristian) can be found via the instructions at https://sks-keyservers.net/overview-of-pools.php#pool_hkps).

if some of the members of the hkps pool are certified by startcom, and others are certified by kristian's CA, (and others are certified by still other CAs?) then people using the pool have to accept certifications by more than one CA. Each additional CA we add means existing setups need to be reconfigured.

        --dkg