sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] javascript web of trust visualization: CORS and keyserve

From: Geoffrey Irving
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] javascript web of trust visualization: CORS and keyserver spam
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 17:31:23 -0700

On Sep 10, 2013, at 5:06 PM, Christoph Anton Mitterer <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, 2013-09-08 at 13:05 -0700, Geoffrey Irving wrote:
>>>   http://naml.us/trust
> Should that be a "live demo"? It doesn't work here with FF 23.

Yes, ideally it would work, but openpgp.js does require a fairly new browser.
It works fine for me on FF 23.0.1, though.  You might try reloading the page:
there's currently a delay as my CORS proxy server starts back up after going
idle.

>> Here's candidate patch implementing CORS.
> Do you see any chances to implement all that without requiring remote
> code/content (and thus CORS)?

You could certainly ask people to drag a pubring.gpg onto the webpage instead,
but part of the goal is to visualize public keyserver data without requiring
people to install gpg first.  I'm not sure what you mean by "remote code": the
only remote code here is from naml.us/trust itself (currently it accesses d3,
but that will change soon).  I'm completely onboard with not trusting
javascript code for security, by the way, which is part of why I'm hoping to
only access public data and not ask people to input any secret keyring
information.

> I guess many people will not really like that and some security
> frameworks (things like NoScript) may block it anyway.

Yep, that's why I'm asking if there are specific keyserver hosts okay with this
kind of application.  NoScript is unrelated: it's about the client, not the
server.  If enabling CORS would damage the security of a keyserver or a client
using a keyserver, it would mean that either (1) keyservers are storing private
information as cookies on client machines or (2) non-javascript code on other
machines can exploit the same vulnerabilities.

Of course, if you have NoScript on, that would explain why it doesn't work for
you.

Geoffrey