sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Peering status of limited peers

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Peering status of limited peers
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:36:45 +0200

On 08/13/2013 02:00 AM, Phil Pennock wrote:
> Kristian and I have been talking about identifying those SKS
> servers which have limited connectivity.  He's going to follow up
> tomorrow with more details from the canonical pool definitions.  In
> the meantime, for

I haven't had sufficient time today to play around with it too much,
but for the purpose of a discussion at least I've generated two
additional charts [0, 1] showing how the good servers in the pool are
connected using various perspectives.

At the current point such mapping is only interesting form an academic
point of view, however if the pool should start to fragment due to
increasing number of keys being added a day [2,3,4] an analysis of the
connectivity could prove useful to determine where the power-brokers
in the network lies and whether key replication can be quicker if
adding some bridges between various clusters.

One factor that is currently making it slightly more difficult to see
any such effect is that many of the servers are updating DB stats
frequently, using e.g. 30 * * * * pkill -USR2 sks || exit 1, whereby
others are only on the default update schedule. This leads to a few
interesting consequences, for instance some keyservers are dropped
from the pool at the end of each day if enough keys are added
throughout the day and enough servers update the stats to skew the
mean and stddev.

[0] http://kfwebs.com/ksmap/KSMap.png
[1] http://kfwebs.com/ksmap/KSMap2.png
[2]
http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/nsa-ueberwachung-verschluesseln-sie-doch-selbst-wie-millionen-andere-a-915647.html
[3] http://www.dailydot.com/news/pgp-encryption-snowden-prism-nsa/
[4] https://sks-keyservers.net/status/key_development.php

- --
Kristian Fiskerstrand
Twitter: @krifisk
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
Ad astra per aspera
To the stars through thorns