sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Request for SKS gossip peers

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Request for SKS gossip peers
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 20:37:44 -0400

On 2012-09-05 at 11:33 +0200, Andreas Thulin wrote:
> I have just set up a new keyserver and would like to peer with other
> servers.
>
> Please add me to your 'membership' file with the following entry and
> provide your details in return (to address@hidden) so I can do
> the same:
>
> redundant.dyndns.org 11370 # Andreas Thulin 0x2C101354

Is this server permanently online?  Having any teething troubles?
Firewall?

% curl -v http://redundant.dyndns.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=stats
* About to connect() to redundant.dyndns.org port 11371 (#0)
*   Trying 80.217.56.173...
[hangs here]
* Operation timed out
* couldn't connect to host
* Closing connection #0
curl: (7) couldn't connect to host

Because the recon system is single-threaded, and one bad peer can mess
things up a little, many of us like to glance over the state of a new
peering candidate before adding them.  For myself, I look at the stats
page, make sure it's present, make sure that a recent key dump is
loaded, and then probably go ahead and add.

It might be worth glancing at
  https://bitbucket.org/skskeyserver/sks-keyserver/wiki/Peering
and going over your setup to be sure things are working.  Looking at the
/pks/lookup?op=stats page on your own server can be useful.

Regards,
-Phil