sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] new keydump source

From: Jason Harris
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] new keydump source
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 09:30:45 -0400

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 08:07:03AM +0200, Kiss Gabor (Bitman) wrote:

> I'm a bit confused.
> Do you plan to use rsync more than once?
> Don't you keep your site synchronized with gossip protocol?

Yes to both.  However, if you have ANYBODY's old keydump on your
HDD and experience fatal database corruption, another quick rsync
(to update that keydump in place) and a fastbuild would be your
fastest recovery option.

Also, if you're doing periodic analysis of the keyring without
running SKS, rsync is better than a full 4GB download every time.

I always fastbuild, but rarely create my own full keydumps, so I
would rsync rather infrequently - only after fatal DB corruption.

But even if you're producing keydumps weekly, you could still
update from rsync://keyserver.secretresearchfacility.com/dump/
just before rebuilding in the event of a crash.  RAM, HDD, or
BDB problems, and any time you went unsynchronized via gossip,
can all be fixed in your keydump by rsync [-c].

--
Jason Harris           |  PGP:  This _is_ PGP-signed, isn't it?
address@hidden _|_ Got photons? (TM), (C) 2004