sks-devel

[Sks-devel] recon outage on zimmermann.mayfirst.org

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: [Sks-devel] recon outage on zimmermann.mayfirst.org
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 23:10:36 -0400

hey folks--

it looks like the sks recon process on zimmermann.mayfirst.org
(a.k.a. keys.mayfirst.org) stopped about 10 days ago:

2012-07-16 05:28:34 Raising Sys.Break -- PTree may be corrupted:
Bdb.DBError("unable to allocate memory for mutex; resize mutex region")

yuck.

After stopping sks, I tried running "db4.8_verify -h PTree ptree", but
this command seemed to be hanging within a futex() syscall.

I took this opportunity to restore from my backups from the 1.1.3
upgrade (about a month ago), and to switch over to Marco's
squeeze-backports package (thereby switching my bdb version back to
4.7).

This means that zimmermann.mayfirst.org is now re-syncing a months worth
of traffic from its peers.  sorry for the higher traffic!

It also probably means that if anyone uploaded certificate data to
zimmermann.mayfirst.org or keys.mayfirst.org in the last 10 days, that
data didn't get propagated to the rest of the pool, *and* isn't on
zimmermann any longer.  So it will need to be re-uploaded :/

If anyone has a thoughts about how i could have handled this
differently, i'd be happy to hear it.

Regards,

           --dkg