sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks (fast)build memory/cache problem

From: Jeffrey Johnson
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks (fast)build memory/cache problem
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 16:54:15 -0400

On Jul 1, 2012, at 4:31 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2012-07-01 22:26, Stephan Beyer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 01.07.2012 04:56, Brian D Heaton wrote:
>>> Having beat my forehead on this one a few weeks ago, I can offer
>>> the following suggestions from JohnC that got me on the right
>>> track:
>>>
>>> Note:  I used the 5K/file keydump for the initial build.
>>
>> I tried several parameters like * keys/file (7.5k, 20k, 5k) * bdb
>> version (5.1, 5.3) * -n * -cache * pagesize / ptree_pagesize
>>
>> Nothing helped.
>>
>> Perhaps I'll try it one last time with a some 4.x version of bdb.
>>

> I'd recommend to try 4.6 or 4.7, at least working for me without any
> issue. I'll throw up some development boxes with BDB 5.x and do some
> testing, although I'm quite sure John already is using this.

I think chasing after ancient versions of Berkeley DB
is unnecessary: there aren't any serious issues reported
in the implementation reported (but this is not a claim
that it isn't a serious PITA debugging Berkeley DB).

I have never succeeded with a "build" with any version of Berkeley DB,
most recently tried about a month or so ago because of positive
reports from John. I'd suggest trying the pagesize adjustments
        pagesize:       128 # Use 64k pages for KDB
        ptree_pagesize:  16 # Use  8K pages for PTree
which may well be why my "build" doesn't work and John's does..

I've also seen issues with choosing cache sizes on limited
memory machines (1-2GB). These days I multiply the default
parameters by 100 on 8-16GB machines and "fastbuild" runs well.

On smaller machines (1-2Gb of memory), I've also resorted to
removing some of the dump files, and then bootstrapping
off another key server I run. This can take 12+ hours
and is a serious load if you have to resort to a smaller
number of dump files. Send me private mail if you want
to try to use one of my servers like this … not recommended
but "works".

> Out of curiosity, what is the source of the BDB install? And is it
> configured with pthread support?

Before chasing after a will-o-the-wisp:

        Opening a Berkeley DB dbenv with DB_PRIVATE disables
        all locking: there should not be any pthread_mutex issues
        with all locking disabled.

Find the DBENV->open() call and mask on DB_PRIVATE to the 4th "flags"
parameter, rebuild SKS, load the dumps, then undo the 1-liner hack is
one way to try to get KDB/PTree created (without worrying about pthread_mutexes)

hth

73 de Jeff