sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Min. Requirement for SKS Version in the Pool

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Min. Requirement for SKS Version in the Pool
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 06:44:15 +0200

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 25, 2012, at 5:38 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 06/24/2012 03:20 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
>> As of *7. July 2012* I intend to change the minimum version for
>> qualification in the pool to 1.1.2, which would currently mean that
>> the number of servers in the pool will be 33 (although I expect more
>> servers to be upgrade by this time, one of the reasons being that
>> 1.1.3 is now available in the Debian repository).
>
> 1.1.3 is in debian unstable (sid).
>
> Being in the unstable repository isn't the same as being in the stable
> repo (squeeze), as most reasonable server administrators run stable, not
> unstable on their systems.
>
> Rather than expecting keyserver operators to run debian unstable, a
> reasonable approach is to get it into squeeze-backports. (see
> http://backports.debian,org/ for details about how debian backports work)
>
> I'm pursuing this right now, and hope to have a backported package
> tested and available in squeeze-backports in about a week.  When it
> happens, i'll write a note to this list explaining how operators of
> servers running debian stable can do a relatively easy upgrade without
> switching distributions.

Thank you for the additional information on the debian process and for your
effort ( http://lists.debian.org/debian-backports/2012/06/msg00067.html )

> Thanks as always for maintaining the pool, Kristian.  I hope we can pull
> this transition off cleanly without reducing the size of the pool too much.

Please let me know if we should push the timeline some for the 1.1.2 minimum to
get more time for testing, as originally stated my primary goal is getting to
1.1.3, so this shouldn't necessarily affect too much, we can still keep that at
August 1.

-KF