sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] 0xd5920e937cc1e39b shows signatures with 0xca57ad7c cont

From: Yaron Minsky
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] 0xd5920e937cc1e39b shows signatures with 0xca57ad7c continuing?
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 07:16:39 -0400

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 9:22 PM, Ari Trachtenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
The problem with the second plan is that the potential number of differences
between hosts could grow quite large, degrading performance.

The deleted keys would be considered as present from the point of view of the reconciliation algorithm, so I'm not sure it would truly degrade performance.  The only issue is, what do you do if the first time you learn of a key is from someone who deleted it?  That said, I think there is a reasonable heuristic one could use here: don't add the key for awhile, seeing if you're going to encounter someone in the reconciliation who actually has the key.  And if you don't, eventually learn it as an "unknown" key, and add it to your Ptree.

That said, GC'ing the deletions is an issue, but it's just the keyid you need to keep, so it's not so bad.

The easiest solution would be to auto-expire keys after a fixed time
(a good strategy anyway from a security perspective).

Best,
       -Ari