sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] [GnuPG-users] sks-keyservers.net: Changes to pools / SRV

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] [GnuPG-users] sks-keyservers.net: Changes to pools / SRV Weights
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 15:05:17 +0200

On 2012-05-13 13:58, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
> On 2012-05-13 07:48, Gabor Kiss wrote:
>> Dear Kristian,
>

> * Updating the pool more frequently, it now updates every two
> hours (why is it relevant that it is updating more frequently?
> Since SKS version 1.1.2 the statistics calculation can be updated
> more frequently by using "pkill -USR2 sks || exit 1" in e.g. a
> crontab. Which means that servers not doing this at times will lag
> behind in keys and be excluded -- you'll notice that this changes
> throughout the day, the further away from the regular scheduled
> statistics update of the older versions)

Another consequence of updating more frequently, and during the time
of day when the servers are more active, is of course also that if the
server is unable to respond due to the single-thread nature - and if
no reverse proxy is there to balance the load - it will be shown as
bad HKP status and excluded until the next run.

So more reverse-proxy enabled servers* would be a good thing for the
pool.

* (as an aside, I've added apache2 to the test now, in addition to nginx)

- --
- ----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand
http://www.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
- ----------------------------
Corruptissima re publica plurimæ leges
The greater the degeneration of the republic, the more of its laws
This email was digitally signed using the OpenPGP
standard. If you want to read more about this
The book: Sending Emails - The Safe Way: An
introduction to OpenPGP security is now
available in both Amazon Kindle and Paperback
format at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RSG1S4/
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at http://www.sumptuouscapital.com/pgp/