sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks-keyservers.net: Calculation of SRV weights

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks-keyservers.net: Calculation of SRV weights
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 12:38:31 +0200

On 06.05.2012 08:36, Gabor Kiss wrote:
>> The SRV records are currently used for the sub-pools eu.pool and
>> na.pool. Before implementing a new approach with a higher degree
>> of complexity, that require more effort to implement, I'd
>> appreciate feedback on the current implementation. Are the
>> sub-pools being actively used? are they performing as it should?
>> Or could it be modified in a simpler way and achieve the same
>> real-world benefits?
>
> Dear Kristian,

Hi Gabor,

Thanks for your feedback.

> Although I don't use the subpools I'd like to comment the document
> you wrote. :-)
>
> 1. As section 2.2 discusses the the current weigth calculation is
> misleading a bit. You measure response time from your location, so
> average subpool clients will use the nearest 10 servers to you. It
> would better to do this measurement from several points of the
> network.

Indeed, but note that 2.2 is named Disadvantages and already state
"Only a single measurement is performed at the time of server
discovery, and the performance measurements as a client is only
performed from a single point\footnote{The location of the server} for
each of the pools\footnote{Two mirrors exists, one in Norway that is
used for the EU pool and one in USA that is used for the North America
pool}."

> 2. You wrote | In addition the size | of the SKS status page is
> typically less than 3 KiB, | which doesn't provide enough
> information for a proper | measurement of the bandwidth capacity of
> the server.

I agree that I can clear this one up a bit. It is intended as an
argument for adding information on bandwidth in a new implementation,
but probably should be elaborated on.

> I'm afraid there is a little confusion here. What do you want to
> measure at all? a) the network delay (i.e. round trip time, "ping
> time"), b) the bandwidth bottleneck c) processor/disk speed of the
> remote key server
>
> I think it is no worth to do a very complicated, multifactor
> measurement.  We need no hair cutting accuracy but an "average
> responsiveness" value.

Responsiveness in terms of ping time isn't necessarily responsive in
terms of receiving a key, or in the case of a non-reverse proxy
server, that sks is ready to accept new requests.

> So I suggest to recruit a small group of volunteers worldwide who
> are willing to run a measurement station. They would install a
> simple CGI script that receives two parameters: a key server name
> and a key ID and replies the time of downloading the given key from
> the given server. After all this time is more important than how
> long time takes to download index.html.

This is a good idea, I'll consider something like this.

> Your central data acquiring software can compute SRV values from
> these times. Additionally local keyserver operators may bias it by
> adding advertising a number via TXT records of their key server.
> Some similar possibility is required beacause they know better the
> actual local network and HW resource policy/status. E.g.
> keys.niif.hu. 3600 TXT        "SKS Pool weight factor=30%" where the
> allowed range is 0-150 percent.

Ideally this could be used, but it could also open up a can of worms
if a server admin is operating in bad faith and want to steer traffic
in his direction for whatever reason. I'll make a note of the suggestion.

- --
- ----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand
http://www.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
- ----------------------------
Corruptissima re publica plurimæ leges
The greater the degeneration of the republic, the more of its laws
This email was digitally signed using the OpenPGP
standard. If you want to read more about this
The book: Sending Emails - The Safe Way: An
introduction to OpenPGP security is now
available in both Amazon Kindle and Paperback
format at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RSG1S4/
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at http://www.sumptuouscapital.com/pgp/