sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] SKS debian package

From: Robert J. Hansen
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] SKS debian package
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 18:24:46 -0400

> You are very very confused: db-1.85 went end-of-life
> in like 1994

Not at all.  That advisory, if you missed it, is from 2009.

I really don't care if db-1.85 was EOLed in 1994, 1984, or 1974.  What I
care about is that it *is still used today* and there are, within recent
memories, reports of serious problems with Berkeley DB.  This counters
what you say in "if there were any BDB 'security releases', you might
have a point."

There have been security problems with BDB, either directly in BDB or in
the software ecosystem surrounding BDB, and I believe sks is well-served
to avoid the embedding problem by using dynamic linking.  And that's all
I have to say on the subject.