sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] keyserver.nausch.org died once again :( - PTree may be c

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] keyserver.nausch.org died once again :( - PTree may be corrupted
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:49:23 +0100

On 16.03.2012 08:57, Michael Nausch wrote:
> Ahoi!

Hi Michael

> My keyserver died this morning once again, or in other better
> words, sks-recon daemon is dead or PTree database is corrupt.

First of all, I presume you have tried just rebuilding the ptree, but
this is a recurring problem ?

> Marco Nenciarini wrote some interesting facts in a discission here
> in our mailinglist (31 Jan 2011) on subject "keyserver.linux.it is
> changing IP":
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/sks-devel/2011-01/msg00030.html
> But I can't follow him, waht he has done to solve his problem.
>
> May someone tell me, how I can fix this buig/problem?

Post is relatively clear on that, I guess; "As workaround for a bug in
xen the clocksource of the virtual machine was set to jiffies, which
isn't accurate enough for sks."

id est he switched the clocksource of the kernel to another one (other
than jiffies[1] - and perhaps another kernel freq?)

You say that the machine is based on a virtual machine, is it still
running as one? It might be timing problems related to the hypervisor
(wouldn't be the first time I've heard of drifts on that)

Anyhow, I'd check /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/ where
I'd expect to see the files (i) available_clocksource, and (ii)
current_clocksource.

So if you "cat current_clocksource" you should see the current source.
By default jiffies are used, but that can cause problems within a VM
hypervisor in particular (which is why a few provide custom kernels
for it). Adding more clocksources will require a bit of kernel
(/module) compilations.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiffy_(time)

- --
- ----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand
http://www.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
- ----------------------------
Corruptissima re publica plurimæ leges
The greater the degeneration of the republic, the more of its laws
This email was digitally signed using the OpenPGP
standard. If you want to read more about this
The book: Sending Emails - The Safe Way: An
introduction to OpenPGP security is now
available in both Amazon Kindle and Paperback
format at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RSG1S4/
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at http://www.sumptuouscapital.com/pgp/