sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] 3 million keys & and community help requested

From: John Clizbe
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] 3 million keys & and community help requested
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 13:44:49 -0500

Jeffrey Johnson wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2011, at 5:49 AM, Andrey Korobkov wrote:
>
>> Is there any chances that SKS would be ported to some other, more common
>> databases like MySQL?
>
> BDB isn't "uncommon" …

Pretty popular when used for specific applications. IIRC, OpenLDAP gets its best
performance with BDB as a datastore.

>> What is the reason behind choosing BDB as a storage?
>
> Likely MySQL wasn't available or sufficiently portable when an implementation
> choice had to be made (2003? 2004? something like that). Disclaimer: I wasn't
> there, don't know, just guessing.

Close, the first mention of SKS was by Yaron, on the [pgp-keyserver-folk] list
on 26-Sep-2002, followed 8 hours later with

>> I think, having SKS work with client-server databases rather than
>> file-based could give it more scalability…
>
> Your turn now: What benefit would there be using "common" implementation and
> a client-server architecture?
>
> Scalability as in transactions/second isn't the important issue for SKS:
> gossiping and rapid synchronization and robust loosely-coupled availability
> are perhaps more important than what db implementation is/was chosen.

HUGE ACK

Quoting from Yaron's debut email:

> You might wonder why we need a new keyserver at all.  After all, the
> existing keyservers do a pretty good job, and there are some actively
> developed keyservers (namely CKS) that are getting better all the time.
>   But SKS is meant to address one big weakness shared by all of the
> existing PGP keyservers -- replication.  Current keyservers rely on a
> not-terribly-reliable flooding-based approach.   Keys often fail to get
> distributed everywhere, and the only current way to repair these
> differences is to periodically exchange full database dumps.
>
> SKS takes a very different approach to replication.  Instead of using
> the kind of flooding approach adopted by PKS, SKS works by directly
> comparing the databases and discovering and repairing whatever
> differences are found.  SKS uses some newly developed algorithms for
> making the comparison between databases extremely efficient.  In
> particular, the cost of reconciling a pair of keyservers is proportional
> to the number of keys that differ between them, rather than the size of
> the overall database.  That means reconcilation is cheap enough to be
> done often. By having hosts periodically reconcile with other randomly
> selected hosts, updates are quickly "gossiped" throughout the system.
> The resulting system is simple to administer, and the replication is
> extremely robust.

IMHO, I don't see where client-server scalability would help at all.

Regards,

- -John

- --
John P. Clizbe                      Inet: John (a) GingerBear DAWT net
FSF Assoc #995 / FSFE Fellow #1797  hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or
     mailto:address@hidden

Raise your hand if you know someone who is alive only because you
did not want to spend time in jail