sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] IPv6 peering; keydumps annoyingly large

From: Robert J. Hansen
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] IPv6 peering; keydumps annoyingly large
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 16:11:35 -0700

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 14:33:14 -0700, Scott Grayban <address@hidden>
wrote:
> The current key saving method is bulky and just so you guys can get a
> idea on growth last year the dump was 3GB - as of today the dump is over
> 4GB so that is at least a 1GB increase -- so if that is a sign of usage
> in 5 to 10 years of growth the DB will become unmanageable -- in fact 1
> step to get into the pool is not going to work that well --> import a
> current dump of the DB.

Our differences of opinion seem to be here:

1.  You presume bandwidth and storage media will not keep pace over five
to ten years.  I disagree.

2.  You believe that if storage media do not keep pace, it will be
impractical to break backups across multiple media.  I disagree.

3.  You believe that it is somehow wasteful to keep old keys around,
and/or there is no good cause to keep them around.  I disagree.

4.  You believe these preceding points constitute an urgent problem
needing immediate attention.  I disagree.

I don't see there to be anything further to talk about.  You are certainly
entitled to your views: you're just not entitled to have me take them
seriously.