sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks-network

From: Jeff Johnson
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks-network
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 14:46:56 -0400

On May 21, 2011, at 2:22 PM, Scott Grayban wrote:

> I won't peer with people that do not have a static IP. The whole idea
> about peering is to provide stability throughout the network pool. If
> this isn't part of the peering rules it should be.

That is up to you to choose your policy.

> And there is no such thing as semi-static IP's.... it's static or
> dynamic, if we are going to explain dns let's be correct about it :)

Sure there are: I have a TWC dynamically assigned IP address at
keye.rpm5.org. It changes like once a year, and is in user for IPv6 tunneling
and more.

Other orgs change their static IP's more often than TWC changes my dynamically
assiged IP. That's gud enuf to qualify for "semi-static IP's" for some
reasonable
definition of "semi-static".

> A decent pipe -- we all know that anything less then a 1mb pipe is just
> going to cause issues. First, down/up are never the same speed, down is
> usually faster then up and most ISP's don't offer a up faster then
> 256/512 unless you have your own T1 or faster line. Some newer DSLv2
> lines offer a better up/down ratio but that is few and far between
> especially in North America.

Do we know that <1Mb pipe is an issue? According to what criteria? Yours?

> If people are wanting to peer using a home desktop and they are playing
> games/movies that will impact the purpose of peering. Bandwidth will be
> sucked dry in no time backing up everything.

Sez who? I run BOINC instead of movies and haven't seen an issue with
100% CPU utilization 24 hours a day.

> If there aren't standards set now what will happen in a couple years ?

We'll all be older ... and "standards" won't yet exist.

> Every IT organization has some sort of peering rules and if SKS peering
> doesn't them we can't even prove we have a stable pool of servers.
> Imagine root dns servers done this way.

I can imagine many things: hmm mebbe if I wore a suit I could
dress up as an IT organization or a root DNS server on Halloween ... nah.

> I have no intentions of stirring up a bees nest but maybe SKS should
> have some standards to enforce. I personally want to be sure I am
> peering with stable servers and not some desktop a person uses to play
> games on.

SO stop stirring or start enforcing. Entirely your decision.

> BTW my dns does have the LOC record.
>>> borgnet.us.             38400   IN      LOC     47 40 5.370 N 117 26
> 20.800 W 579.00m 1m 10000m 10m

So does mine. Perjhaps I should use Maidenhead coordinates: FM05lw as a LOC
record.

73 de Jeff