sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Optimum number of peers

From: Andy Ruddock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Optimum number of peers
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 21:17:51 +0100

Jeff Johnson wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2011, at 2:14 PM, Andy Ruddock wrote:

>> Ari Trachtenberg wrote:
>>> Gossip protocols exhibit a thresholding phenomenon.  If everyone talks to
>>> greater than a certain
>>> fraction of their peers, data will propagate to everyone in the network.
>>> If everyone talks to less than
>>> this fraction, then very few network members will get all the data.
>>> Unfortunately, this fraction depends
>>> on many parameters of the network ...we are working on some research that
>>> may give some more
>>> concrete answers ... but it will take a bit.
>>>

>> For me this is the important issue, it would seem that the algorithm
>> used handles having many peers extremely well - in that it would appear
>> not to lead to excessive network usage.
>>
>> I've tended to keep the number of peers I have to a small number and
>> have traditionally only peered with those who are geographically close
>> (generally speaking).
>>
>> I think it may be advantageous to have a small number of geographically
>> distant peers to prevent this "thresholding phenomenon".
>>

> I suspect that avoiding the "thresholding phenomenon" isn't the right
> basis for your reasoning. Nothing wrong with your reasoning
> at all, all depends on what one chooses to optimize: in your
> case you seem to want "robust global propagation" not "minimal necessary load"
> as an optimization goal.
>
> But that is merely a guess.

Good guess, spot on. But although I'm not seeking to minimize the load
on my servers they do perform other roles. I have to weigh up the
resources which I'm able to allocate to each service which I wish to
make available, and the fewer I have to allocate in order to achieve my
goals the better.

When I first started to operate an OpenPGP keyserver the advice was to
peer with geographically local peers - which would lead to peering wth
only a small number of hosts and would possibly lead to the "threshold
phenomenon" at continental borders (people peering within their own
continent but possibly excluding closer hosts in a neighbouring
continent). This was my thinking - with, as you say, robust global
propagation as a goal.

>> For this reason I think I shall seek to peer with one or two peers in
>> the North American continent, and one or two in Australia/New Zealand or
>> Southern/Eastern Asia.
>>
>> If this is deemed to be suitable my membership details are :
>>
>> keyserver.rainydayz.org 11370        # Andy Ruddock
>> <address@hidden> 0xEEC3AFB3
>>

> For North American coverage, try peering here:
>       keys.n3npq.net  11370
> in a Tier IV data center with high availability and good bandwidth.
>
> You are also welcome to peer with
>       keys.rpm5.org   11370
> which is an aging dual G5 on a (my) residence cable box.
>
> Send along your membership information if interested.
>
> 73 de Jeff

- --
Andy Ruddock
address@hidden (GPG Key ID 0xEEC3AFB3)