sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Query UI which offers all servers in the SKS mesh

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Query UI which offers all servers in the SKS mesh
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 03:12:45 -0500

On 2010-12-28 at 08:49 +0100, Sebastian Urbach wrote:
> If i may contribute an idea, wouldn't it be better to use the latest
> available list as a backup and not just your membership file when the
> service needs to be restarted ?

That would involve preserving more state, which I've never yet done as
anything other than a debugging aid, because it means the state format
needs to be preserved yet still have enough data to be ready to use on
reload, even across new versions which might expect other data to be
present.  That's not hard, but is constraining and so I've not done it
on this toy service.  I absolutely would do so on a "production"
service.

Doing things the way I did means that I can just extract the data which
is already present, which means serving up data that's in RAM already.

> I will definitely try it :-) Still need a private mail ?

That counts, so no.  :)

If the service ever gets so loaded down that I notice, I'll just shove
in Referer: header checks and only whitelist those who let me know ahead
of time.

-Phil