sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Query UI which offers all servers in the SKS mesh

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: [Sks-devel] Query UI which offers all servers in the SKS mesh
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 01:11:59 -0500

The server query interface at http://sks.spodhuis.org/ now automatically
adds a new list drop-down, if JavaScript is enabled in your browser,
letting you choose any server in the SKS mesh to query against.  No
JavaScript, no list of alternative servers, and the UI degrades down
cleanly.

Note that the hostnames used are those configured into the sks instances
as their own hostname, so not all are valid in public DNS; "antix",
"basket" and "booboo" come to mind.  The default server is the one
running on the host the JS was loaded from.

This relies on my mesh spidering service to deliver the list of
hostnames as JSON.  If the service has recently restarted then the
complete mesh won't be available, so instead a fallback list will be
used, which is just the hosts in my membership file.  [503 leads to
second AJAX query]  If the results are all valid public DNS, then this
is the likely cause.

Some minor Python additions to the mesh daemon and a little JavaScript
and this was fairly easy, but I'm certainly not a professional JS
programmer and it probably shows.

Copyright status: I don't know the various CC options and am not in the
mood to explore legalese right now, so if you want to copy the
JS/HTML, go ahead, but just let me know in a private mail please,
especially if you fix the AJAX callback URL to be my generated list,
instead of something on your server.

Thoughts, comments, feedback?

Regards,
-Phil