sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Re: Dump

From: Robert J. Hansen
Subject: [Sks-devel] Re: Dump
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:19:07 -0400

On 10/14/10 10:07 AM, R P Herrold wrote:
> Trimming away and ignoring clearly stated questions to reframe away hard
> parts is a common 'debate society tactic' -- engage or be ignored

This has become tedious.  Rather than answer my questions, you accuse me
of engaging in cheap theatrics and attempt to claim some kind of moral
high ground.

>> (b) people who upload their certificates to servers willingly accept
>> the risk of their email address being public in exchange for the
>> benefit of having their certificates being easily findable -- and who
>> are you to say their wishes should be ignored?
>
> 'There you go again' Clearly a false generalization.

For it to be a false generalization (much less a 'clearly false'
generalization) you must present evidence that most users do /not/
understand the keyserver network is a public resource.  So far I've yet
to see it.

Neither is the message you quoted relevant to the discussion.  The
person asking this question was running a standalone, *non-synching*
server.  This person is totally irrelevant to the question of what the
*synching* keyserver community should do.

Even then, there are always people who don't read the manuals.
Exceptions to the rule do not disprove the rule: they only prove the
rule has exceptions.  By your reasoning it is "clearly a false
generalization" to say that, e.g., citizens must pay taxes, on the
grounds that some people manage to successfully commit tax fraud.