sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] problems with SKS 1.0.10 when searching by key ID from G

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] problems with SKS 1.0.10 when searching by key ID from GnuPG
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:05:35 -0700

On 2009-03-24 at 11:12 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 03/23/2009 07:05 PM, John Clizbe wrote:
> > Folks may be holding back from upgrading because they don't want to
> > upgrade their Berkeley DB version to 4.6.
>
> That does sound unpleasant.  Who on the list has done this process?  Has
> anyone documented the necessary steps?  Having clear documentation might
> make such an event less intimidating, and encourage upgrades to
> less-buggy versions.

Me, the other day; I had been running with sks linked against db-4.4
because that's what it ended up with on initial install; when switching
to Yaron's version of the IPv6 patch, I switched to db-4.7.

I shut down the old sks, ran db_recover-4.4 against the DB directories
(KDB & PTree) which replayed logs, etc, then started on the new sks,
which did the logs in the new format.  I don't think any of the rest of
what I did affected upgrade; there's a db_upgrade-4.7 but I don't think
it was needed for the format of DB used by sks -- my recollection is
that it errored out, so I just started sks/db-4.7 and it turned out to
be fine.

Make sure you either run db_recover-$OLDVERSION as the sks runtime user,
or if root that you chown the directories again afterwards; I did the
former.

Sorry, don't have the sks runtime user set up to keep persistent shell
history and I didn't keep separate notes.

-Phil