sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Ports used by sks

From: David Shaw
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Ports used by sks
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:21:59 -0500

On Feb 2, 2009, at 5:44 PM, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 15:30 -0500, David Shaw wrote:
The policy didn't exist yet when some of the early protocols got their
port numbers.  Certainly for the past 10 years or so, if you got one,
you got the other. At least, that's what I was told when I registered
HKP (port 11371).
Yes,... and for other protocols,.. you'd have to apply specifically...
(e.g. sctp).

Anyway,.. should I apply for it now? I mean 11370?

No. You should have a document specifying what the port actually is and the protocol that is used on the port before you claim it. There is a spec for 11371. You need a spec for 11370.

Also, isn't the port changeable on a per-peer basis in SKS? If so, there is no point in registering the port at all, as setting up a new peer is a manual operation. A SKS instance doesn't need to know a well-known port to become a peer.

David