sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] PKS network mailsync peers

From: Jonathan Oxer
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] PKS network mailsync peers
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 08:35:25 +1100

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 07:59 -0500, Jason Harris wrote:

> Sorry about this outage.  Fortunately, it was fixed a few days ago
> by the owner of the hardware.  All SKS admins should (once again)
> feel free to add address@hidden as a mailsync
> peer.  This helps keep the SKS and pks/onak/OpenPKSD/OPKS (i.e.,
> non-SKS) keyserver networks in sync.

Aha, thanks, that explains it! I thought perhaps the problem was that I
had misconfigured SKS, but it seems I was just a victim of bad timing.
My mail log is showing messages being successfully sent through now.

As a matter of interest, how does an outage like that impact the
consistency of key distribution across the various networks? Keys added
to my server during that period would have propagated correctly to other
SKS servers, but not been sent to non-SKS servers. Is there any
mechanism to ensure those changes are propagated, or do the networks
just naturally diverge in content as they accumulate network-local
changes?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm just trying to better understand
how the various server networks interact.

Cheers   :-)
--
Jonathan Oxer
Ph +61 3 9723 9399