sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] stripping GD sigs (was: Re: clean sigs)

From: David Shaw
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] stripping GD sigs (was: Re: clean sigs)
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 09:42:22 -0400

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 09:30:35AM -0400, Jason Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 08:31:35AM -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 12:22:00AM -0400, Jason Harris wrote:
>
> [I'll address your other points later.]
>
> > If you insist on presenting a different view to users than the entire
> > rest of the keyserver net, without any way to turn such a "feature"
> > off, then I suggest that keyserver.kjsl.com be removed from the
> > subkeys.pgp.net rotation.  It will cause more confusion than benefit.
>
> I pointed out the potential for confusion before.  But, now, I'm
> convinced the best solution _is_ to remove the GD sigs from non-
> GD keyservers.

You seem to continue to ignore my point, probably because it's easier
for you to argue this as a GD issue.  Let me try again:

1) This isn't about the GD.
2) Nope, not about the GD.
3) Still, not about the GD.
4) It's about one lone keyserver operator, without any discussion with
   other operators, editing his own keyserver to remove material he
   doesn't like.
5) Did I mention it wasn't about the GD?

> Also, subkeys.pgp.net is about _subkeys_.  If you want
> gd-retention.pgp.net, go ahead and ask Piete to create it, then
> configure GPG to use it by default.

Jason, what would you do if one particular keyserver in
subkeys.pgp.net refused to sync with the others, so it presented a
different view?  What would you do if one particular keyserver decided
to drop all signatures from you because they don't think you're a good
signer (0x11 signatures - argh).  Should they be dropped from
subkeys.pgp.net?  Are they breaching their responsibility to the rest
of the keyserver net?  Remember: not a GD issue.  You're editing your
keyserver based on *your* personal preferences.  Again, by the way,
not a GD issue.

> As well, please give OpenPGP users more credit.  They seem to be
> quite capable of comprehending the differences among keyservers.

You do realize, I hope, that the very email that started this thread
was from someone confused about why the keyservers weren't giving back
the same material...

David