sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Sks and mailsync

From: Marco Nenciarini
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Sks and mailsync
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:39:28 +0200

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 12:41:40PM -0400, Yaron Minsky wrote:
> On 8/22/05, Marco Nenciarini <address@hidden> wrote:
> >

> > I'm investigating why my sks send so little number of sync email.
> >
> > I'm not a good ocaml reader, but if I have correctly undestod the
> > code, sks send a sync email only when a _new_ key is submitted
> > directly to it via email or /pks/add web command.
>

> This is by design. SKS is designed to receive updates from PKS, not
> propogate them. It seems to me that the PKS network should be responsible
> for its own replication. And SKS requires very few incoming PKS connections,
> since any updates that come in to any SKS server will eventually be
> distributed everywhere by SKS's own distribution network.
>
> New keys that arrive from the SKS recon process should _not_ be propagated
> to PKS. That would create storms of traffic when an out-of-date server gets
> back up to date, so it would be bad for PKS. The reason for forwarding new
> keys is simply to ensure that things submitted to SKS are also submitted to
> the PKS network, thus keeping the networks roughly in-sync. That doesn't
> mean that it's appropriate to spam the PKS network every time an SKS server
> gets an update.
>
> It's correct?

I partially agree this beavior, but i think we should send mail update
for _all_ key update other than recon process.

I think we must help pks network to remain in sync most as possible
(but without flooding it).

Ciao

|    Marco Nenciarini    | Debian/GNU Linux Developer - Plug Member |
| address@hidden | http://www.prato.linux.it/~mnencia       |
Key fingerprint = FED9 69C7 9E67 21F5 7D95  5270 6864 730D F095 E5E4